Friday, March 14, 2008

Finding me


Ah, the pleasures of life. For me.......coffee, more pointedly, Espresso. Creamy, dark, lush, lavishly rich espresso. I know I know, many of you find this repulsive, but to me, it is part of who I am. It's part of my cultural history.
For me, when I drink espresso it is almost as if I am in another time and place.
It is odd, but through life I have always felt a little out of place. Michele and I often quip that we should have been born in the early 40's in New York city, or post WWII in Italy. There is a common sense of out of placeness that has always been there.

While that feeling still exists I have found the ability to find contentment in certain things. God of course being the foremost and giver of the rest, but in things like a 1.5 ounce cup of espresso, our little garden in the back yard that reminds me of Brother Frank Viollenti from my childhood days, cooking.....especially holiday cooking (of which I will be posting our Italian Easter recipes of Easter Bread and Pizza Rustica this weekend). Hearing my children say grazie and prego, instead of thank you and you're welcome (not to mention being reprimanded if I accidentally use the English versions myself). The joy of having a wife who is Italian and just as excited about that heritage as I am.
While life itself can sometimes be a doldrum that is hard to overcome, it is in these things and more that I have truly found La Dolce Vita (the sweet life).

Ciao,
John Pennucci

No comments: